Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My day in court



Yesterday I had the exciting opportunity to shadow my mentor, a court reporter at the Federal Courthouse here in Phoenix. The experience was amazing. Mondays are criminal sentencing day, so I spent the day sitting in on a variety of hearings that ranged from Reentry after deportation and assault with a deadly weapon to armed bank robbery and sexual assault. I also had two hearings that required an interpreter which I thought was really great to get acquainted with. It was a great experience and I feel like I learned a great deal.

Favorite Random Courthouse Room:
The marshal's shooting range in the basement of the building. (who know they even had one??)

Favorite Quote of the Day:
(From a convicted armed robber) "Your Honor, I am NOT a criminal. I am the nicest person you will ever meet."

Most difficult moment:
For one of the hearings, the defendant was in custody elsewhere and not present the in courtroom. He was teleconferenced in and had a very thick Iranian accent. I couldn't understand a word he was saying. Needless to say, the hearing was rather short, as it was quickly determined an interpreter would be necessary. The entire thing was actually pretty comical as it was very clear that most everyone (minus the court reporter) could hardly understand what he was saying. I was surprised how much the c.r. actually understood and was able to write. It was pretty ironic since the c.r. and I had just previously had a conversation about what things she still found difficult, and various accents was one of the things she had mentioned.

Most unexpected person that I met:
Marilyn Sanchez, last year's NCRA President. Didn't know she even worked in AZ.

What I've realized I most need to work on after spending the day in court:
Colloquy/ speaker identifications.



This is the view of the inside of the courthouse from the main entrance. The large circular room straight back is actually a court room that is used for only the most special cases.


Along this hall are all various court rooms which is where I spent my day.

0 comments:

Quotes

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
- Winston Churchill

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.
-Robert Collier

So many fail because they don't get started - they don't go. They don't overcome inertia. They don't begin.
-W. Clement Stone


We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
-Aristotle

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.
-William B. Sprague



 

Life before 225 | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates