Monday, December 28, 2009

Try, Try again



I would first like to state that, unless they are the bearer of good news, I firmly believe test results should NEVER be delivered on Christmas Eve. You can probably see where I am going with this already. Yes, the long-awaited RPR test results arrived on all days, Christmas Eve. I had a pit in my stomach as soon as I saw that they were in the mail. I have been waiting for these results for the past two months, and by this point I honestly had no clue what to expect. I believe I already told you I was only waiting for the Jury and Lit results, as when I took the test, the QA was a total bust. Well, my Lit was a fail. They do not give you the exact score unless you are within 15 errors of the test pass, so I only know I failed. Perhaps I should twist that a little more positively. Let's just say it was not a pass. Anyway, the Jury results came back that I was 8 errors over the limit for a pass. Only 8 errors! Whenever you miss a test by just a few measly errors, it somehow seems painfully worse than if you had just totally botched the test all together. So attempt #1 of the RPR was only mildly successful as I did pass the written, but sadly no portion of the skills exam. I must now wait until May for my next opportunity to take the RPR. To say I was thoroughly disappointed would be a enormous understatement. I really thought I had the Jury, and I was desperately hoping that I would have at least passed a portion of the exam. So my tears have been shed, my Christmas Eve depression has passed, and I must remember that at least now I have my brand, spankin', new machine for the next time. I will just have to get myself in that motivated zone I need to be in, cut out all distractions, and work really hard to be prepared for the May round when I will try, try again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Tis better far, to bear those ills we have than fly to those we know not of" ... (parody of Hamlet III, i, 56)

I thought I would add a snappy quote I read recently. I hope your new machine helps you the next round of tests you take! JAK

gdwarner said...

Hello.

Sorry to read of those not-so-positive results ...!

On the plus side, you do have nearly five months to prepare for the next one ... and I suggest that you do two things:

(1) Sign up for the free week at Magnum Steno

(2) Join Magnum Steno!

The free week will give you some time to review Mark's Briefs 101 videos, as well as view his daily drills.

The regular membership ($30/month) will (hopefully) give you a chance to apply what you've learned in the Briefs 101 series against Mark's uber-fast daily dictation.

Since your test wasn't quite where it needed to be, hopefully the Magnum Steno club will teach you some new strokes. Your hands won't have to move faster; they just need to write a lot of words in fewer strokes!

Good luck to you.

--gdw
-----------------------------------
"For a Good (steno) Time ...."
http://www.cheapandsleazy.net

Quotes

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
- Winston Churchill

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.
-Robert Collier

So many fail because they don't get started - they don't go. They don't overcome inertia. They don't begin.
-W. Clement Stone


We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
-Aristotle

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.
-William B. Sprague



 

Life before 225 | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates