Sunday, November 16, 2008

Veterans History Project

A while back I signed up for the Veterans History Project, a project that is dedicated to collecting and preserving the wartime stories of our veterans.  As part of the project, the Library of Congress collaborated with the National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) and the National Court Reporters Foundation with the 1000 Voices Initiative, which with the help of court reporters and court reporting students helps to transcribe the veteran's interviews that have been submitted to the Library of Congress. In true Steno-Diva fashion, I took what should have been completed in 4 - 6 weeks and stretched it to a more comfortable 6 - 8 weeks. All the same, I finally completed my transcripts and couldn't be more thrilled that I am finished. I had originally volunteered for the project so that I could receive my 2009 NCRA subscription for free. Let's face it, I'm not making the big bucks yet, so of course, the word "free" was enticing. I didn't realize the amount of work it would require though. I can't say that I regret doing it though. Quite the opposite, actually. I learned a great deal about my writing, areas I can improve on, as well as numerous things regarding editing transcripts. So it was actually a very educational experience, not to mention the material was pretty interesting. Still, I am glad to have that off my plate. Shout-outs to my unofficial mentor!!!! Without your help I would most likely still be working on this project as we speak.

0 comments:

Quotes

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
- Winston Churchill

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.
-Robert Collier

So many fail because they don't get started - they don't go. They don't overcome inertia. They don't begin.
-W. Clement Stone


We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
-Aristotle

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.
-William B. Sprague



 

Life before 225 | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates