Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ten Random Things I’ve Learned During Court Reporting School:


1. The admissions department flat out lies when it comes to telling students how long it will take to get through school.

2. They strategically overlook the 95% failure rate too. (But in their defense, I probably would have never enrolled had I known that little tidbit of info.)

3. I will never again have long nails.

4. A caffeine addiction is essential to a healthy work – school balance. It is widely rumored that Starbucks is now listed as my emergency contact at work.

5. Taking care of my body with regular massages and exercise is time and money well spent. Never underestimate the value of good hand and finger exercises either.

6. Never head to a depo without an extension cord, cough drops, energy bar, and some extra cash (for that rare occasion when a law firm doesn’t validate). You never know when you might need one of these valuable items. Trust me…mooching money off a court reporter you are interning with so you can get out of the parking garage is the last thing you want to have to do (hypothetically speaking, of course).

7. You can meet a fellow court reporter or student and be instant friends in 2.5 seconds flat.

8. Anytime someone finds out you’re a court reporter the response will ALWAYS be the same…”Oh, so you are the person that types on that funny little machine.” This is usually followed up with “so you must type really fast.” If only I had a dollar for every time I heard that.

9. Two things: You can’t trust spell check! Attitude is everything!

10. Court reporting school is probably the single most difficult thing I’ve ever done in my life, but it is also the one thing that has shown me just how strong, disciplined, determined, and successful I can really be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled upon your site. As a fellow CR student, I really get a kick out of your humor and inspiration. Keep it up and you'll be out before you know it. This is one of my new favorite blogs!

Me, myself, and I said...

Thanks for the kind words and good luck to you too!!! All this hard work will most definitely pay off.

Christine StenoNerd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christine StenoNerd said...

Hi, Steno Diva!

I totally echo "Anonymous" about this being one of my new favorite steno blogs. I've been reading all your blog posts in one sitting (tonight) and love it!

CONGRATS ON EVERYTHING!!! :)

- Christine (Steno Nerd)

P.S. When you're out there working as a reporter, please keep updating your blog! Take your readers along the journey...

Nikki Jo said...

Late comment but you definitely have a new follower! I just started in May and am now in my last month of theory! I love it so far!! Please keep updating while you are a reporter!

Quotes

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
- Winston Churchill

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.
-Robert Collier

So many fail because they don't get started - they don't go. They don't overcome inertia. They don't begin.
-W. Clement Stone


We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
-Aristotle

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.
-William B. Sprague



 

Life before 225 | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates