Thursday, January 29, 2009

The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.


Some days  I sit down at my machine, and it is as if I am touching a completely foreign object. My fingers are slipping onto the wrong keys, I'm dropping way too many words, my mind is swirling from a lack of concentration, and my body aches that tired, weary ache that comes from too much time sitting in front of a computer. It is on days like this that I feel as if everything I ever learned and practiced has fluttered completely out of my mind and continued right on out the window. I find myself left wondering, how did I possibly end up in this weird, endless land of 180 limbo? Will I ever escape it? Alas, I know I will, but not without a little much needed encouragement. So I dial a c.r. friend, they let me be weary, emotional, and discouraged. After receiving a much needed pep talk, I get back on my machine, for I will never succeed without standing my ground, and mastering my machine. Sometimes success is merely the determination to keep going.
 
This little cycle is nothing new. It happens quite routinely. It really is just part of the process, and it reminds me of how funny court reporting really is, and what an unusual little circle you become part of. One thing I have discovered since I began this journey a little over 3 years ago, is that this is most definitely a career with a lot of heart. C.R.s truly understand how utterly discouraging this program can be at times, and anyone remotely related to this profession is always so wonderful at encouraging you during those ultra low moments (which sometimes seems more often than not). They are pretty much the only ones that truly understand how you feel and what you are going through. Because of that, they always know just what to say to pick you back up off the floor, dust off the dirt off your back, and get you back on your machine. The words that are shared are always heart felt, sincere, and full of a deep appreciation for the amount of hard work and dedication that this requires. There belief and support in you sometimes outweighs the belief you have in yourself. They still, somehow, always remind you that with positive thinking (negativity is absolutely NOT an option), determination, and perseverance, you CAN and WILL succeed. I feel truly blessed to have discovered this little world, and even though sometimes I feel as if I'm still just a little nut, I know that in time, I will be the big, strong tree.


You must do the things you think you cannot do.
Eleanor Roosevelt


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, sometimes I feel like a nut too so don't worry to much. I mean look at me I actually have a job now instead of mooching off of friends for places to live. Graduating may seem like a billion miles away but you just might be suprised! That mighty oak sneaks up on yah! Ok, ok, the oak sapling sneaks up on yah!

James

Me, myself, and I said...

i guess we're both really just a little NUTS. haha. I think i'd be happy with a sapping right now :)

Quotes

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
- Winston Churchill

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.
-Robert Collier

So many fail because they don't get started - they don't go. They don't overcome inertia. They don't begin.
-W. Clement Stone


We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
-Aristotle

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.
-William B. Sprague



 

Life before 225 | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates